The Price of a High Calling
Genesis 12:1-2 (NIV)
“The Lord had said to Abram: ́Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great and you will be a blessing ́. ̈
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
There is something particularly special about this word. It was the promise that God gave to our pastor Cesar Castellanos regarding what He wanted to do ministerially in his life. Fruit of receiving and believing this word, La Iglesia Misión Carismática Internacional (International Charismatic Mission Church) was born, where thousands of lives and families have been blessed, restored and have had a genuine encounter with Jesus. Our pastors have built this dream for more than 35 years and have paid a high price to see a city and nation transformed and surrendered to God.
It is important to understand that this promise is also for you, and that no matter how big or small your beginnings are, God wants to take you to a new level in your life. He wants you to go from glory to glory and be blessed in all that you take on and represent.
LET’S GO DEEPER
Our spiritual life is defined by our ability to obey and follow every command that God gives us. That is why God asked Abram for three important things, which are summarized in three key areas that define our life and destiny:
1. LEAVE YOUR COUNTRY (LAND)
When a person decides to leave their homeland to settle in another nation, it can be difficult to adapt to new customs because their lifestyle is rooted in the culture of their homeland. God was asking Abram to leave the place where he was born and raised to settle in a land he did not know.
There are times when God will test our obedience by asking us for something we love: a place, a plan, a personal dream, because it is the only way to show Him how much we love him and how much we are willing to give up for Him.
Many times the land represents that safe place we are used to being in where we don’t really depend on God. That’s why the Lord invites us to seek Him; He yearns that as citizens of His kingdom we adopt His culture of holiness, forgiveness, love, justice, truth, peace etc.
2. LEAVE YOUR FATHER’S HOUSEHOLD
In other words, God was telling Abram to leave his family. As we read the whole story of this great man of God, we find a passage where God asks him to take distance from his nephew Lot because God had destined a bigger plan for Abram.
Genesis 13:6-7 (NIV)
“But the land could not support them while they stayed together, for their possessions were so great that they were not able to stay together. And quarreling arose between Abram’s herders and Lot’s. The Canaanites and Perizzites were also living in the land at that time. So Abram said to Lot, ´Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herders and mine, for we are close relatives. Is not the whole land before you? Let’s part company. If you go to the left, I’ll go to the right; if you go to the right, I’ll go to the left.´”
The meaning of the name Lot is veil. This implies that Abram’s nephew was a stumbling block keeping Abram from reaching his divine promise.
It is important to remember the correct order of priorities to live a balanced life:
+Work or studies
Family is in third place, but there are many who put their family (spouse, children, parents) before everything else. It’s definitely worth it to ask God for a balanced life where you can be a blessing to your family, but where they do not take the first place that belongs to God in your daily life.
3. LEAVE YOUR CIRCLE OF INFLUENCE
1 Corinthians 15: 33-34 (NLT)
“Don’t be fooled by those who say such things, for bad company corrupts good character. Think carefully about what is right, and stop sinning. For to your shame I say that some of you don’t know God at all.”
Our behavior and character are determined by our circle of influence. That is why the Word is so clear about it. The apostle Paul teaches us that bad friendships affect our character because when people don’t have the fear of God or are not focused on growing in communion with Him, they come to influence us negatively and can lead us to fail God.
Applying the blood that flowed from Jesus´ feet, we need to ask the Lord to allow us to always be with the right people, at the right time, in the right place.
PRAYER AND CLOSING
- Before praying, read the initial promise of Genesis 12:1-2 again. It’s important they memorize verse two.
- Visualizing the cross, lead them in a time of repentance where they can confess in what areas they have allowed disobedience and have failed to surrender completely.
- Declare that by the blood of the Lamb of God that was slain, you are all redeemed, justified, sanctified from all evil, and that all sin is forgiven and washed away.
- Apply the blood that flowed from the feet of Jesus. This shedding puts them in the right place (nation, city, neighborhood, workplace, university), the right time (does not allow them to hurry or miss the blessing) and with the right people (every person who has been a veil and has corrupted their lives is removed. The right people who will build them up and be an example will come).
- Finish by claiming the full promise together: “Because of our obedience, God will make us a great nation, bless us, magnify our name and we will be a blessing to others”.